Mexico Residency

My Latin Life provides integral and specialized relocation services through a team of attorneys and accountants. The following is a summary of the general requirements to acquire residency in Mexico, as well as our pricing and complementary services. 

Order your Mexican residency now.


Application Process

Residency in Mexico is a 2-step process: 

  1. Apply for a Mexican visa. Visas (stickers) are affixed to your passport and cannot be issued in Mexico; you must apply at a Mexican Consulate or Embassy of Mexico Resident visas are valid for 6 months, but only one entry, allowing you enough time to complete step 2 
  2. Obtain your Resident Card. When you arrive in Mexico, you must attend your local INM immigration within 30 days of your arrival and go through a procedure to change your resident visa for a resident visa for a resident card (a plastic card). 

(This does not mean that ONLY retirees can access permanent residency. Anyone can. There is no legal disposition that dictates that only retirees can access permanent residency. Some consulates will only give permanent residences to retirees and others are more flexible.)


Processing Time

IMPORTANT: It can take up to four weeks for your card to be issued, during which time you must remain in Mexico. If necessary, a special permission can be requested to leave Mexico with a pending process. 

The Temporary Resident Card is issued for one year and can be renewed for 1, 2 or 3 years. This card may optionally grant work permits (issued in Mexico), and allows unlimited entries and exits from Mexico. If you end up staying longer, you can request to exchange the temporary card for a permanent card after 4 consecutive years of stay. 

Permanent resident cards have no expiration date. Renewals and replacements of Resident Cards can only be made in Mexico at the INM office. 


Visa Requirements 

General requirements: 

  1. Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months and have at least one blank page for the visa sticker). 
  2. Photocopy of passport (personal information page only). 
  3. Identification (driver’s license, ID card, etc.) 
  4. 1 passport size photo 
  5. Application form (duly signed and completed). 
  6. Letter addressed to the consulate requesting residency. The letter must indicate your address in Mexico, the intended duration of your stay and that you are aware that, as a holder of this type of visa, you are not allowed to work in Mexico. 
  7. Printed appointment confirmation (PDF or number). 
  8. Fee ($ 51.00 USD paid at the Consulate) 
  9. Minors: All applicants who are minors (-18) must present an original birth certificate along with a valid ID for both parents. 

All supporting documentation must be submitted in original and one photocopy, and must be submitted separately by each applicant. 


Temporary Resident Visa 

  1. Valid document proving legal status in the U.S. AND letter from employer confirming position and salary received (only if the applicant is not a U.S. citizen). 2. Documents showing financial solvency through:
  2. Monthly income (6 months of bank statements or pay stubs). Minimum per month: $ 3, 319.04 USD plus $ 1, 106.34 for each dependent; OR
  3. Investments or savings (12 months of statements) Minimum balance per month: $ 55, 317.33 USD; OR
  4. Public deed (original and copy) of real estate in Mexico in the applicant’s name. The value of the property must exceed $ 442, 538.66 USD. 

NOTE: these amounts are an average for the United States. Income requirements vary from consulate to consulate. 

If you are applying for a visa for a family unit you must present documentation proving the relationship (marriage and/or birth certificate), and identification and proof of nationality of your family member (Original and copy). 

Work visas: your employer will need to submit an application before INM in Mexico. If approved, you will receive an official letter with a pre-approval number (NUT). number (NUT). Provide your NUT number to the Mexican Consulate to verify its validity in their system. Once you have received confirmation, make your appointment online. 


Permanent Resident Visa 

  1. Original and a photocopy of a valid document proving legal status (if the applicant is not a U.S. citizen). 
  2. Documents showing financial solvency through: 
  3. Monthly pension income (6 months of statements). Minimum per month: $ 5, 531.73 USD plus $ 500 for each dependent; OR
  4. Investments or savings (12 month bank statements). Minimum balance per month: $ 221, 269.33 USD. 

NOTE: these amounts are an average for the United States. Income requirements vary from consulate to consulate. 

NOTE: If the source of your monthly income is a Social Security pension, you must also provide a proof of income document from the Social Security Office stating the exact amount you receive. 

Appointments are personal (all applications are processed separately).


What is Included in This Service

My Latin Life’s Mexico visa/residency application process includes: 

  • Full legal counseling during the entire duration of the application.
  • Government application fees.
  • Compilation, compliance revision, and due diligence work of all necessary paperwork, as well as taking care of all appointments and communication with immigration and consular officers. 
  • Concierge services at INM offices (legal advice, representation, and legal translation services). 


Buy Now

  • Order your Mexican residency now.
  • The faster you make the purchase, the faster you get your residency. The price and requirements go up all the time, so the sooner the better.