Why Do Latinos Cheat So Much?

You don’t have to be in Latin America long to realize that there’s a cheating bonanza going on.

A common conception is that men are the main culprits, but women aren’t innocent either; many a personal trainer has laid pipe to a housewife while el señor was away at the office.

Don’t believe me? You don’t need to. Ask the New York Times. The newspaper reported that Latin American men are the second-most adulterous on the planet (after sub-Saharan Africans).

But why, you ask. Why do Latinos cheat more than, say, Caucasians?

Well, I’m not Latino, but I have cheated and lived in Latin America so I’m going to take a stab at this one.

Makes me qualified as anyone, I reckon.

Latinos have a culture that’s grounded quite solidly in “machismo.” This trait, internalized by men and tolerated by women, reinforces traditional gender roles and drives men to flaunt their manliness whenever an opportunity presents itself. This includes doing things like fighting (there’s a reason why boxing is so popular in Latin countries), cursing, drinking to excess and, of course, seducing beautiful women.

You see, that movement known as “Feminism” didn’t quite catch on here as well as it did in North America and Western Europe so there’s never been much doubt cast on the historical roles of men and women. And, although this is changing in the region as more women join the workforce and are thus more autonomous, the need for a man to feel like a man is still very much alive.

In the West on the other hand, a man’s desire to exert his masculinity has been largely subdued and suppressed by a hypersensitive cultural narrative and media machine that condemns traditionally male behaviour. Look no further than modern television sitcoms, where the women are strong and aggressive and the men are docile buffoons. Indeed, traditional male behaviour — even something as innocuous as weightlifting — has fallen under the umbrella of “toxic masculinity”

I believe that North American men cheat less than Latinos not because they are inherently more loyal, but because they have been conditioned to be more afraid, both of their partner’s wrath, and of societal backlash.

Let’s take the time I cheated on a Latina. After a series of conversations, I was eventually forgiven by her, as well as her friends and family.

And the time I cheated on an American girl? I was ostracized by everyone who was even vaguely connected to the relationship, save for my own family and a few close pals. T’was heavy.

Of course, neither reaction was appropriate; cheating shouldn’t be met with such leniency nor with such obtuse exclusion. And, obviously, infidelity should not be used as a measure of manliness. I also don’t mean to suggest that fear is the only thing keeping men in the United States from cheating. I’m only trying to guess why Latinos cheat more.

In my experience, Latinas have a much better understanding of why men cheat than American women. American women think that men cheat for the same reasons women cheat: because we felt a “connection” to someone else, or because we fell in love with someone else. Latin women adopt more of a “men are horny and that’s what they do” stance. Latinas, for better or for worse, can more easily reconcile the differences between sex and love as they occur in a man’s brain: which is that you can have sex with a woman without having an emotional connection, or without feeling anything for them at all, really. This means, for better or for worse, that women in Latin American countries have a higher tolerance for cheating because the implications aren’t as catastrophic to them as they are to an American girl.

In machismo-driven cultures, men are constantly looking for ways to prove their masculinity. In a region where unemployment is high and many males workers are unskilled, there are few outlets for this aside from sport and sex.

All this, accompanied by the fact that Latinos generally have a more passionate approach to love and life, it should come as no surprise that men step outside of their relationships every once in a while.

What do you think? Post your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Until next time,

Vance

Related Article: Do Latinas Cheat More Than White Women?

15 thoughts on “Why Do Latinos Cheat So Much?”

1. Not necessarily just being horny. There culture demands that you behave overtly
    masculine on steroids otherwise your thought of as gay. Being thought of as gay
    in a culture that is rather traditional in sex roles is seen as a major insult.
    So to avoid being called gay they often act this way. It is also thought to behave
    excessively masculine makes them powerful.

2. Your article was so insightful and honest I was blown away. I experienced this "machismo" in which you are speaking about when I lived in Asuncion Paraguay, South America. Everywhere you went it was dance parties, clubs, bars, backyard parties, and all of them we so culturally invigorating. I found myself wanting to cheat just because of the passion for dancing, romance, and love is everywhere on every street. I find beauty in this honestly. A culture of people that understand that men are just doing their job like God wanted them to do. To spread their seed with love and passion. My only thought is that ALL cultures are wired differently. Its up to us to find the silver lining and not judge. Bravo to you again for your honest and refreshing article. Suerte! Ciao!

• I’ll be honest. Your comment make me vomit in disgust. As a Latino myself I highly dislike people that are cheaters, cheating is more of an excuse than anything else. Latinos treat their women like crap half the time and are pretty aggressive when confronted cause of their shitty behavior.

3. It’s really hard when i broke up with my cheating EX.I usually like to be a happy go lucky person,but after that day my life seemed over.I remain silent,less interested in any of the things around me,but realizing that he wasn’t even worthy of my love still gave me the strength to move on.after going through hard times with his cheats and lies,feeling sometimes that i was wrongly accusing my man.thankfully my friend gave me contact to a reliable hacker who helped me hack his phone and exposed all that he has been doing behind me,this hacker gave me access to all his phone activities without touching his phone,only then was my doubt cleared, and i was able to strengthen up and move on…If your partners commitment is really in doubt,just contact=hackingloop6 @ g m a i l . c o m or text +1(7 1 2)2 9 2 2 6 5 5,he is a legit hacker,tell him i referred you.

4. I’m Hispanic living in Hispanic America, also I lived for some time in the USA, and I have dated gringas, white and black women and Asians.
    Is a fact that machismo is widely spread in the region, which I think is very sad. But also I want to point out that women are also very responsible for this, I would say that women are the most machistas, because machismo is not only about men can cheat and tell women what to do, but that men pays for everything to women, since the first date and so on, plus these other many roles that are imposed for males. In my case I grew up on a family with no brothers and all sisters, and by the time I was 20 I was already completely tired of machismo, my mom and sisters are very machistas while I am really not. I especially liked the way very less machista culture in the US.
    Also I found women in the US easier to have sex than Hispanics, like is easy to have sex in the first date or at least in the second date. Believe me is not as easy with Hispanic girls, unless you are rich or a white foreigner which then they will assume you are rich, in such case they will try their best to get pregnant from you and marry you.
    While I strongly try not to cheat for respect to my gf, when I am horny is hard to control, and I am very horny most of the time like I want to have sex twice a day everyday, and actually I wonder if there is something wrong with me or what, but that’s how I feel.
    Also I agree a Hispanic girl is way more likely to forgive you for cheating than a gringa.
    Also not only a region with high unemployment and low education, also with very low salaries, access to capital, loans, etc, and high inequality and informality in the job market. So as a summary, between very few to none opportunities in life. I agree that in sports and sex we are all equally compared.
    To answer Josep’s question, simple rule, the poorer the country the more machista. Those 3 countries you mention are among the best in the region so I would expect way less machismo in those than for example in Colombia, Venezuela, the "North triangle", etc. Compare countries by GDP per capita.

5. Women don’t think their partner’s just cheat because they had a “connection” with someone else, at least not all the time. Women also get pissed when their partners can’t keep it in their pants and respect the relationship enough to ignore their basal instinct to f*ck anything that moves.

6. This makes a lot of sense. I was raised in a small town in Jalisco Mexico and when you talk to ladies there they joke about their spouses cheating on them as if it doesn’t really bother them. My own grandpa admitted to cheating on my grandma . Me being brought up in the USA I would have left the minute he admitted it but now I can see how culture and the society we are ebrought up in makes a big difference.

7. I’m a white woman that’s dating a Mexican man I loved him and treated him well ovious I wasn’t enough for him he would go to church and pick up women are you serious? I started to figure out how he was and he would tell people I’m his wife which I’m not ,I had to ditch that old fucker he clearly didn’t deserve me .

8. I was aware of the Mexican man and my own man’s reputation for having a lot of women, though he’d never had a GF or Wife. So I gave it a try. He did cheat. A lot. I tried to understand and be mature and finally I just got sick of his BS. Sick of him making no money, using mine indiscriminately, And the blatant disrespect of his constant mujerriesgo -ing. Womanizing. I just lost interest in him and his antics. He was a good bit younger and I thought he might grow. And he did seem to — but nah, he was just being a manipulative cabron. He was so shocked when I left him after 5 years of that drama, distraction and irritation and venereal disease finally… Life is too short to be with a Mexican Man

9. Bang on.. but in addition to those reasons, I really just think Latinos are more horny than Caucasians and other races on average. The women too. Even though it’s taboo for them to be overtly sexual like American girls most of them are horny af and cheat on the down low. I would honestly say American girls are more faithful even if they’re more open to TALKING about sex. They might twerk and talk about blowjobs, but they’re not actually out here cheating with their primo or the milkman like Latin American women. You’re a gringo, so you can’t see past the nice girl act.

10. Personally I dislike cheaters with a vengeance and I’m Latino. I find them to be no better than criminals. Many Latinos have that macho attitude but is dying out, many women are becoming self reliant and won’t tolerate such behaviors from their men. Latin culture was made with the mindset that “wife for the house, for cleaning and cooking” and prostitute for fun. It’s utterly disgusted and we have lots of problem with human trafficking specially child trafficking in South America. My father cheated on my mom after 26 years of marriage and I broke his face in, didn’t regret it one bit.

11. Well idk but a 54 year old man from el Salvador has been flirting with me right in front of his live in girl friend he told me in front of his grown daughter that he loves me also has asked me if i want him if i dream of him and do i want to have sex.. its been over a year this has gone on

12. I am Latino and my father cheated on my mother, he probably has a second family in Mexico. I also have a friend who has a dad that has a family in Mexico and one here in US.

My Grandpa was a lowlife who cheated as well and had a family in Mexico, my grandmother not only forgave my grandpa, but she took in the bastard love child and raised it as her own. This is pathetic to admit that there essentially are nothing but trash in the family. Their mindset is skewed.

My dad also cheated multiple times with different women when I was a kid and would leave the house for days at a time likely to stay with his other side woman. My father didn’t really have a hand in raising me, mainly my mother. She was a good mother, but I think lacked in the self-respect department a bit. She cooked, cleaned, and basically did housework all the time. Cared for me when I was sick, and in all regards was a great mother. Really hurt to see her get treated like that.

I would say my mother and father’s relationship was more akin to a slave driver and the servant than husband and wife.

I always looked at my father as an example of what NOT to be like because his behavior disgusted me.

I ended up getting educated and making quite a good living, but no matter how successful I am the dysfunctional dynamic of my parents seems to be seared into my mind.

My dad has even tried to show off to women in front of me and flirt with them when I was in town right before the holidays. It’s really pathetic. But seems like no matter what my mother will never leave him that is why he continues to do that.

I wonder if it ever occurred to my father that he isn’t showing off, it does the opposite it makes me lose all respect for him in general, as a man and a father.

So to all the cheater Latino fathers stop disrespecting your wife and yourself. It doesn’t make you appear to have more “machismo” it just makes you lose respect in front of your kids. Focus on teaching your kids better than what your stupid dads taught you. Break the cycle of being a lowdown cheater.

Stay away from the easy sluts and street trash and tend to your family at home, that’s being a REAL man. If you raise your kids right and treat your lady right that is REAL “machismo”. It’s easy to go and run around sleeping with women, it’s a lot harder to be a real man and take responsibility for your family and be a dad and a husband. If you can be a real dad and a husband, that is the REAL test of your “Machismo” running around cheating is for punks and idiots.

Your kids will respect you as a father , your wife will respect you as a man and you can be a good example to your kids instead of being an example to them of what NOT to be like.

• This comment is perhaps the best. My own father cheated on my mother and I loathe him for it. I have no relationship with him and even if I have a half brother I don’t care about him. I have nothing but disgust and hatred for my father for making my mother suffer. I dislike Latin culture and avoid it as much as possible cause most Latinos are the same and I have no respect for such people.